Friday, October 10, 2008

Question

Suppose you have a one-time opportunity to magically and instantly grant selective amnesia to America, erasing all awareness of the recent financial disaster. This amnesia will affect not only individual memories, but all recorded evidence of the crisis, including newspaper articles, personal blogs, relevant SNL sketches, etc. Would you do it? What if your memories were likewise compromised?

______________________________________________________________

Nice, should we call this case, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Securities Trader Mind?" I'd have to say that I would not do it...mainly because, regardless of whether my memories of the disaster have been erased, the fact remains that the crash would still be happening. Thus I'd likely run to my broker and say, "Broker! Go buy me $10,000's worth of highly risky sub-prime mortgage securities! I have a good feeling about those!" I'd be even more encouraged to do that because, in your construct, all media coverage and thus all warning of the event, would be erased. In fact, would there be any good reason for choosing the amnesia route? We lose SNL skits, we lose personal blogs...what do we gain? Peace of mind? An end to ridiculous postings by former PCDS President's who feel it is their God-given duty to protect the free-market from blame and instead, throw every other person/industry/organism even MILDLY associated with the crash under the bus!?!?

I vote no.

~JSK

____________________________________________

I also say no, and it is precisely because I, a former PCDS President, want to throw every other person/industry/organism even mildly associated with the crash under the bus to protect the free market, though I question whether this God-given or even a duty.

-NTC

No comments: