Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Accino Hall, be damned.

So why is it that any of us joined debate in the first place? Was it because we thought we had meaningful points to make regarding important issues? Was it because we yearned for added learning, beyond that which $40,000 a year could buy? Maybe it was because we were dragged into it unwillingly by floor-mates who desperately wanted a social outlet? No, it was none of these. Simply, we debaters loved to hear ourselves talk. And doggone it, did we talk...boy howdy...maverick. Honestly, I miss having the opportunity to, at least once a week, gather with a group of intellectually curious and informed people and have at it verbally. Speaking truthfully, I may have learned more in my two years of debate than my four years in class (three and a half, really...second semester of junior year can't really count if one skips nearly half one's classes, right?). Thus I created this blog. I envision it as a place where any one of us, past or present, can come to air grievances, spout rhetoric or even make a cogent argument or two. And I hope the topics of conversation are limitless...I do not intend to bore everyone to death with intricate legal points that don't even belong in a legal blog. Hell, the posts don't even have to be about debate or politics...everything's on the table.

I've invited a bare minimum of you so far, mostly because I don't have anyone else's email addresses. So I encourage everyone to forward this blog on to PCDS alumni and every current member willing to join us. Everyone will be granted equal say because, even though the Constitution doesn't require me to, I strive to treat everyone equally.

Anyway, this is just a quick preliminary post to set out my basic idea for creating this blog. I really hope it gets off the ground and I hope it acts as a meaningful way to keep in touch with everyone. Post at your convenience...I won't excommunicate anyone for lack of posting. So I end this post now with some words from the great Kanhar Munshi: "I loved PC debate. Then I was deported."

Cheers.

No comments: